The AMSA National Executive advocates on behalf of Australia’s 17,000 medical students, on the foundation of the public policy adopted by the AMSA’s National Council.
AMSA advocates through comprehensive campaigns involving:
- Direct advocacy in meetings with politicians, Government departments and stakeholders in medical education
- Commentary in print, radio and TV media
- Opinion articles in public media, medical journals and AMA publications
- Open and private letters to relevant stakeholders
- Submissions to Government and stakeholder inquiries and feedback processes
- Grassroots student action through fact sheets for contact with local MPs
- Informing students via the AMSA website, AMSAtv, Podcasts, social media and through active local AMSA Representatives
The National President attends meetings, where appropriate, with relevant stakeholders and politicians, supported by the Vice President (External) and the Public Relations Officer. The Vice President (External) leads AMSA’s policy development processes and the Public Relations Officer coordinates AMSA’s media statements.
To advance AMSA’s advocacy, AMSA is affiliated with organisations with a similar mission to AMSA, and with consistent public policies, including:
- Australian Indigenous Doctors’ Association
- Australian Medical Association (AMA)
- Australian Medical Council
- General Practice Students’ Network
- Medical Deans of Australia & New Zealand
- National Rural Health Students’ Network
- New Zealand Medical Students’ Association
- Climate and Health Alliance
AMSA is a member of the International Federation of Medical Student Associations and takes part in its various Standing Committees, including Professional Exchanges via the AMSA Exchange program.
Do you have a particular issue that you want heard? Speak to your University’s AMSA Representative today.