In Australia, 1 in 5 medical students are international students, and AMSA strives to represent every one of these students as effectively as possible. To better advocate for these students, AMSA must have a comprehensive understanding of their issues and opinions.
Last year, AMSA re-activated the International Students’ Network (ISN) and placed it in the hands of the international student representatives from medical schools across the country. The goals that have been set out as foundations for the ISN are:
- To advocate for all international medical students studying in Australia
- To provide support for graduating international students seeking internship in Australia
- To provide support for international students wishing to return home to complete internship
- To assist graduating international students who are unable to attain an internship in Australia in finding employment alternatives
- To connect current and future international medical students and to inform them of the issues currently facing international students in Australia
Information for international medical students on internships
The AMSA ISN has released a letter containing information to current and prospective international students about the availability of internships in Australia. Click here to read the letter and find out more.
The AMSA ISN has released a new guide about applying for internships in the USA. Read it here.
Kaplan are proud to partner with the Australian Medical Students Association and its International Student Network to offer its members a new series of online services, exclusive resources, and 10% savings on select Kaplan courses. Our courses are designed to help physicians and medical students score higher on the USMLE*, and obtain deeper insight into standards of care as well as common procedures and protocols in Western Medicine.
International Student Guides to being a medical student in Australia
These guides help international students make the transition to studying medicine in Australia.
- ISN Guide to University of Sydney
- ISN Guide to The University of Queensland
- ISN Guide to Flinders University
- ISN Guide to James Cook University
Some Medical Students’ Societies have also produced guides for the international students studying at their medical school. Click on the links below to view their guides:
The ISN is here. Watch the video.
Get involved with the ISN
Take the survey
The AMSA ISN is asking international students to help us to develop a message that accurately represents the opinion of the international medical students in Australia.
Stay tuned for updates
…on the availability of internships in each state and much more coming to you from the AMSA ISN in 2012.
To learn more about the ISN or get involved, please contact:
M: 0425 777 310