AMSA was founded in 1960 to bring Australia's 17,000 medical students together. Today we are one of the largest student-run not-for-profit organisations in the world. AMSA exists to connect, inform and represent students matters that impact medical education, medical training and culture, healthcare delivery, and public and global health. Annually, AMSA brings thousands of medical students together across five world-class events. We also produce guides and publications to better support medical students in their training. AMSA is run by 500 passionate and excited volunteers working to build stronger local, national and global communities.
AMSA is run by medical students, for medical students. The activities of AMSA are all based around our key objectives of connecting, informing and representing Australian medical students:
- ADVOCACY: AMSA is the leading voice for medical students in Australia, ensuring their concerns are heard by all levels of government and other relevant stakeholders in medical education and public health.
- STUDENTS: AMSA provides a wide range of benefits to prospective, current and graduating medical students. The Association also actively engages with medical students through local AMSA Representatives at local university levels.
- EVENTS: AMSA holds national events each year, connecting Australian medical students and providing educational and leadership opportunities. Our key annual events include the AMSA National Convention, AMSA Global Health Conference, AMSA National Leadership Development Seminar and AMSA Rural Health Summit. AMSA also facilitates three annual Council Meetings and an AMSA Global Health Intensive.
- STUDENT INTEREST GROUPS: AMSA has five SIGs - Global Health, Rural Health, International Students’ Network (ISN), Medical Education (MedEd) and Indigenous Health.
- PROJECTS: AMSA organises grass-roots projects and initiatives. Our projects allow students to engage with key issues they are passionate about. Our annual projects are AMSA Queer, AMSA Mental Health, AMSA Gender Equity, AMSA Vampire Cup, AMSA Code Green, AMSA Crossing Borders, AMSA Healthy Communities, and AMSA Sexual and Reproductive Rights.
- PUBLICATIONS: AMSA produces many publications which are distributed electronically. They are a key conduit by which the Association informs and connects Australian medical students.
How to Get Involved
- Become a member
- Follow us on social media for regular updates and opportunities
- Attend local AMSA events promoted by your local AMSA Representative
Image: AMSA Global Health Projects