International Students’ Network
In Australia, 1 in 5 medical students are international students, and AMSA strives to represent every one of these students as effectively as possible. To better advocate for these students, AMSA must have a comprehensive understanding of their issues and opinions.
The ISN serves as an advocate for international medical student issues, most importantly giving international medical students a voice when it comes to the nationwide internship crisis.
The goals that have been set out as foundations for the ISN are:
To advocate for all international medical students studying in Australia
To provide support for graduating international students seeking internship in Australia
To provide support for international students wishing to return home to complete internship
To assist graduating international students who are unable to attain an internship in Australia in finding employment alternatives
To connect current and future international medical students and to inform them of the issues currently facing international students in Australia
In 2017, the ISN aims to reach out to all international medical students – AMSA represents all of us, regardless of our country of origin. We also aim to increase international student participation across all AMSA events, and for international student issues to continue to be a topic of conversation.
The ISN also continues to strongly advocate for equal student opportunities between domestic and international students. We continuously engage with key stakeholders and university representatives to improve international student access to various bursaries, scholarships and electives.
Information for international medical students on internships
The AMSA ISN has released a letter containing information to current and prospective international students about the availability of internships in Australia. Click here to read the letter and find out more. The AMSA ISN has released a new guide about applying for internships in the USA. Read it here.
International Student Guides to being a medical student in Australia
Some Medical Students' Societies have produced guides for the international students studying at their medical school. These guides help international students make the transition to studying medicine in Australia. Click on the links below to view their guides:
- The Australian National University Medical Students Society
- James Cook University Medical Students Society (JCUMSA)
- Monash University Medical Undergraduates Society (MUMUS)
- University of New South Wales Medical Society
- Sydney University Medical Society (SUMS)
- Tasmanian Medical Students’ Society
- Western Sydney University Medical Society
- Deakin University Medical Students Association (MeDUSA)
- Flinders Medical Student Society (FMSS)
- The University of Melbourne Medical Students' Society (UMMSS)
- Wollongong University Medical Students' Society (WUMSS)
- University of Queensland Medical Society (UQMS)
To get involved with ISN, please contact us at email@example.com.